GMA held its 42nd Annual General Meeting and Annual Day function 2017 on 27 October 2016 at the Conference Hall in Hotel Mandovi.
The Chief Guest for the Annual Day was Mr. Vivek Vasishta, Executive Director & Country Leader, Government and Regulatory Affairs for India and South Asia, IBM, who delivered the GMA Annual Lecture 2017 on Artificial Intelligence, Technological Disruptions and the Future of Management.
Speaking on the topic, Mr. Vasishta highlighted several impacts / outcomes of technological development in the past few years across the globe, which have led to dramatic and disruptive changes on jobs, businesses, business performance, relations, social networking and many other aspects. He threw a light on the level of advancement in development of artificial intelligence and the contributions it is making to diverse fields from medicine, law, to filmmaking.
He highlighted the renowned latest development of IBM, IBM Watson and detailed its applications, as one example of many AI interventions from various organisations working in that space. He also exemplified the actual heightened level of perception of AI, when he showcased a film trailer of the feature film Morgan, purely created by IBM Watson, without human involvement.
The talk was enthusiastically received by the audience of more than 200 people, which consisted of senior business leaders from Goa, industrialists, heads of other business forums in Goa, members of GMA, industry professionals and the general public.
GMA also distributed its Annual Business Awards 2017 at the Annual Day, felicitating the winners at the hands of the Chief Guest and prominent business leaders of Goa. The following awards were presented.
- GMA CEO of the Year 2017 to Mr. Jaideep Redkar, President – India Region & Vice President, Rosenberger Asia Pacific
- GMA Startup of the Year 2017 to Counterfeit IQ
- GMA Manager of the Year 2017 to CA Ashutosh Kharangate, Managing Director, Mangal Analytics and Research Consulting Pvt Ltd, Goa
- GMA Best Management Student of the Year 2017 (Post Graduate) to Ms. Aishwarya Usgaonkar, Student, Goa Institute of Management, Goa
- GMA Best Management Student of the Year 2017 (Under Graduate) to Ms. Pruela Francis, Student, Dnyanprassarak Mandal’s College and Research Centre, Assagao, Bardez, Goa
Earlier in the day, the 42nd AGM was presided over by the President, Mr. Nitin Kunkolienkar, who welcomed the members and invited the Chairman to conduct the proceedings of the meeting.
Mr. Rajiv Narvekar, Hon. Secretary of the Executive Committee, presented the annual report and highlighted the different events and programmes conducted by GMA during the year. Mr. Amin Ladak, Hon. Treasurer, presented the accounts for the year 2015-16. He informed the members that GMA had ended the financial year with a surplus.
Members adopted the annual accounts for 2015-16 and approved the resolution to appoint auditors for the term 2016-17, among other business conducted.